Sunday, November 23, 2008

Investing

Though some may contend that money is inherently evil, I will not get into any confrontational argument here. But I will certainly say that money does have instrumental value so start investing prudently today. I am only eighteen, and I already have stocks.

But where should you start? The beginning of any path may be daunting, but if you sincerely commit yourself, you will attain wonders. First save some money from your work or ask your parents then open a savings account at your local bank or credit union. Bank rates differ locally, so I can't help you choose a particular bank. I do know, however, that credit unions generally offer better rates than banks. You just have to shop around. Don't be afraid to inquire and be wary of certain fees (such as maintenance fees) that banks may charge.

While opening your bank account, you may also want to open a checking account too. That way when the need arises, you can pay with a check.

That's it for banking for now. If you want more information and if you're a high school student, I advise that you join your school's Finance Academy. If you don't fit the latter criterion, I suggest you take a finance class at a local community college. I will also offer handouts for banking, credit cards, and stock trading, but I need more time.

Congratulations on beginning your path to financial independence.

No comments: